What are your favourite charities?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
BlackBird

What are your favourite charities?

Post by BlackBird »

Hey guys.

What are your favourite charitable organisations?

I'm fond of:

http://www.thaistudentcharity.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Great charity helping poor Thai students get ahead with their studies, rather than a life in the paddy fields - Run by former Monk and Author Peter Robinson.
http://www.buddhanet.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Always good to help promote the Dhamma.
and http://www.liberationprisonproject.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - They're a great cause, helping to teach and reach out to those who deserve a 2nd chance.

I've sort of just stumbled upon all 3 of these, and tbh I don't know of many charities beyond those who advertise on my television and come door knocking.

Perhaps everyone can share their favourite charities and we can expand our Dana-horizons

Hope you have a Dhamma-filled day
:anjali:
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Cittasanto

Re: What are your favourite charities?

Post by Cittasanto »

how about the homeless fella down the road
or the local hospice
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

In addition to that perhaps start with people in the forums I frequent, who say things like:

"How can I live on 1 $ a day for the next months, please help me find a cheap diet."

"Homeless"....
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Manapa wrote:how about the homeless fella down the road

or the local hospice
Well we don't have many homeless people where I live - You can't go into town and expect to find one.
The local hospice is a great idea though - Probably wouldn't have thought of that :smile:

:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks