(Mis-)use of words

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

(Mis-)use of words

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:19 am

What are your thoughts?

I personally I believe that is it, in some cases, a form of dishonesty. Although his example of Islamophobia does not appear to be apt as a phobia doesn't always mean only irrational, and I take it to be simply a fear especially when it is a new coinage not used in medical descriptions; although it was an extreme and misplaced reaction in some cases.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: (Mis-)use of words

Postby felipe » Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 pm

This actually fits in right-speach, which includes the intention to get the message clearly and to make sure that the recipient understands what you are saying.

In the cases that he mentions when you pick a 'catch line' with the intention to generate a doubtful reaction you could say that there is an intention to confuse people.

This is the reason why you should try to speak with the proper words, with a good rhythm and even write correctly, avoiding the now usual shortcuts.

Do it thinking about others :)
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
felipe

Return to Lounge