(Mis-)use of words

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

(Mis-)use of words

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:19 am

What are your thoughts?

I personally I believe that is it, in some cases, a form of dishonesty. Although his example of Islamophobia does not appear to be apt as a phobia doesn't always mean only irrational, and I take it to be simply a fear especially when it is a new coinage not used in medical descriptions; although it was an extreme and misplaced reaction in some cases.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: (Mis-)use of words

Postby felipe » Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 pm

This actually fits in right-speach, which includes the intention to get the message clearly and to make sure that the recipient understands what you are saying.

In the cases that he mentions when you pick a 'catch line' with the intention to generate a doubtful reaction you could say that there is an intention to confuse people.

This is the reason why you should try to speak with the proper words, with a good rhythm and even write correctly, avoiding the now usual shortcuts.

Do it thinking about others :)
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
felipe

Return to Lounge