Help with Majjhima Nikaya Reference?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Help with Majjhima Nikaya Reference?

Postby Mettajhana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 am

Hi everyone. I am reading Analayo's Satipatthana, The Direct Path to Realisation and also have a copy of the Majjhima Nikaya (Bhikkhu Bodi, Wisdom).

For the life of me I cannot fathom how to map the notations in Satipatthana to the MN. Here's an example: M I 435 or M III 16.

Is he referring to a different translation to the one I have?

Many thanks,
Mettajhana

Re: Help with Majjhima Nikaya Reference?

Postby daverupa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 pm

It's simply a different citation style; check the page headers in your translation, and you will see "i 47" and such. So, ignore the M, and look for "i 35" or "iii 16", to use your examples.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Dmytro » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi Mettajhana,

Here's an explanation of numbering:

http://web.archive.org/web/201202242221 ... /bs12.html

Metta, Dmytro
Dmytro

Postby Mettajhana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:37 pm

That's marvellous. Thanks guys. I have really poor eyesight and that numbering is near the binding on each page so i'd completely missed it!

thanks again :)
Mettajhana

Postby Modus.Ponens » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Thank you Dmytro! That is a very complicated system that I finaly understand (I think); and outdated.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Return to Lounge