Former US President Bill Clinton turns to Buddhism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Former US President Bill Clinton turns to Buddhism

Post by plwk »

According to thebuddhism.net news site, in an article dated January 10th, 2013, former US President Bill Clinton has hired his own personal Buddhist monk to teach him how to properly meditate.

Bill is learning to meditate and has reportedly turned to a vegan diet as well. All this change has apparently been influenced by his recent heart scare where in February 2004 when he was rushed to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York City because he started experiencing some awful chest pains.
More here
yawares

Re: Former US President Bill Clinton turns to Buddhism

Post by yawares »

plwk wrote:Image

According to thebuddhism.net news site, in an article dated January 10th, 2013, former US President Bill Clinton has hired his own personal Buddhist monk to teach him how to properly meditate.

Bill is learning to meditate and has reportedly turned to a vegan diet as well. All this change has apparently been influenced by his recent heart scare where in February 2004 when he was rushed to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York City because he started experiencing some awful chest pains.
More here
Dear Plwk,

former US President Bill Clinton has hired his own personal Buddhist monk to teach him how to properly meditate.
------------
Sound very strange to me!!!!!...I think a Buddhist monk should be happy to teach Clinton how to meditate out of his compassion and 'meritorious deed'.... not for money !! A Buddhist monk for hire...sounds ugly.

yawares
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

"Hiring a bhikkhu" is lingering in my mind , so I search yahoo :

Bhikkhu Pāṭimokkha
The Bhikkhus' Code of Discipline
[Translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu © 2007–2013]

18. Should any bhikkhu accept gold and silver, or have it accepted, or consent to its being deposited (near him), it is to be forfeited and confessed.

19. Should any bhikkhu engage in various types of monetary exchange, it (the income) is to be forfeited and confessed.

20. Should any bhikkhu engage in various types of trade, it (the article obtained) is to be forfeited and confessed.

yawares :anjali:
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

I believe this story was corrected after its first publishing, that former Pres. Clinton as not retained a Buddhist monk or teacher. One of his spokesperson stated that he has modified his lifestyle after his heart attack, but that he has not retained a Buddhist teacher.
yawares

Post by yawares »

BuddhaSoup wrote:I believe this story was corrected after its first publishing, that former Pres. Clinton as not retained a Buddhist monk or teacher. One of his spokesperson stated that he has modified his lifestyle after his heart attack, but that he has not retained a Buddhist teacher.
Dear BuddhaSoup,

Thank you very much for the information....I feel much better, I really don't want people to have wrong idea about Buddhist monks.

yawares :anjali: