John Peacock

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
C J

John Peacock

Post by C J »

Hi,

Does anyone know a forum/website where I can ask few questions from John Peacock. I searched the web but could not find any such place. So I thought about asking this community where I learned about him.

As he is neutral about reincarnation, I want to know his opinion on Dr. Ian Stevenson's research and about Edgar Cayce life readings.

If any of you have any opinion about above I like to see them all.

Thanks
James the Giant

Re: John Peacock

Post by James the Giant »

I tend to use my own brain and read the books and think a bit, and make up my own mind. Instead of relying on what John Peacock thinks.
But good luck, anyway.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
C J

Post by C J »

James the Giant wrote:I tend to use my own brain and read the books and think a bit, and make up my own mind. Instead of relying on what John Peacock thinks.
But good luck, anyway.
Thanks for the reply.

John Peacock has like 40 years of practice/experience in Buddhism, and I'm not even 40 yet :smile:

So I guess I can use his wast amount of knowledge in different Buddhist schools. And he has read many books also. That's the reason why I want to know his opinion. I'm not trying to rely on John Peacock but rather know his opinion and learn from it. Then I can use my brain more wisely and think more clearly. If I make up my own mind without gaining knowledge, will I be able to make up my mind correctly :idea:

Thanks.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

He currently teaches Buddhist studies and Indian religions at the University of Bristol in the UK, is the Guiding Teacher of Sharpham Centre for Contemporary Buddhist Inquiry in England and is an Associate Director of The Oxford Mindfulness Centre, recognized by Oxford University.
This was true as of January 2012.

I've never listened to a talk of his, but here's a link for one:

http://secularbuddhism.org/2012/01/06/e ... rahmanism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]