What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kim OHara

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by Kim OHara »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn_UACDTyv0
I had to find it for someone who really needed it, and you can't not listen to it when you're thinking of it, can you?

:smile:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

What did he do, to be so black and blue?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHLTI2cM ... sults_main" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Louis Armstrong was brilliant, and his early work is worthy of your time and study. We're lucky these recordings exist.
SDC

Post by SDC »

alan wrote:Louis Armstrong was brilliant, and his early work is worthy of your time and study. We're lucky these recordings exist.
We are indeed.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

I echo Ben's comments regarding Peter Gabriel. The man is a treasure, and his live concert DVDs are especially impressive.

I am currently listening to Eliane Radigue, a modernist French composer working primarily with ecstatic drone frequencies. Drones are frequently used in sacred Hindu music and have a whole bunch of theory around them - well worth checking out.
I am also enjoying Ravi Shankar's incredible command of the Sitar, and the devotional Kirtans of Krishna Das. I am not a Hindu, but enjoy much of their music.
Tria Bulgarka are cool too.

I find that the more I meditate and study Dhamma, the more music falls away for me. But these are my current choices :tongue:
Death sweeps away those who spend their lives gathering flowers
- Dhammapada 47

The only true freedom is freedom from the heart's desires;
And the only true happiness this way lies...
- Matt Johnson, The The
SDC

Post by SDC »

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

A Winter's Solstice II from Windham Hill
http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Solstice- ... pd_sim_m_3
If you're like me and syrupy commercial Christmas music drives you round the twist at this time of year, here is a legitimate alternative!
:twothumbsup:
Amazon wrote: The Winter Solstice series from Windham Hill is an appealing souvenir from the label's early days, when guitarist Will Ackerman still served as its chief guiding light and fount of original thought. For years Ackerman shunned the overt commercial trappings of traditional Christmas recordings and instead offered odes to a broader season that, like his artists' music, is compatible with periods of sustained, hushed contemplation. Winter Solstice II, released in 1988, mixes original and traditional compositions (none that specifically brings Christmas to mind) and is adorned with classical overtones from front to back, conveying the high-minded earthiness associated with the label's then all-acoustic format.
:namaste:
Kim
The Sum of Awe

Post by The Sum of Awe »

Right now: "The Beast - Tech N9ne"
"And this is the nature of the universe. We struggle against it. We fight to deny it, but it is of course pretense. It is a lie. Beneath our poised appearance, the truth is we are completely... out of control."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Tis the season:

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Bye bye, Ravi.

http://news.yahoo.com/indian-sitar-virt ... 23085.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Very few have had the music in their soul. He had it, and he expressed it brilliantly. Bless him.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

"What holds attention determines action." - William James
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

:anjali: