Sub-forum for topics regarding visiting monasteries and...

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Ytrog

Sub-forum for topics regarding visiting monasteries and...

Post by Ytrog »

Because I couldn't type the full title in the box:
Sub-forum for topics regarding visiting monasteries and interacting with the ordained Sangha

I have an idea for a new sub-forum on Dhamma Wheel for topics regarding visiting monasteries and interacting with the ordained Sangha and want to know what you think of it. Below I'll try to explain why I think this is a good idea.

Recently I started a topic about visiting a monastery. The problem I faced though was that this topic didn't really fit into any of the sub-forums and after considering some alternatives ("Personal experience" and "Lounge") I chose "Ordination". I still don't think that this is an optimal choice. I think a new sub-forum more suited for this kind of questions would be useful as I'm sure many people who aren't used to be in contact with a monastery, because they have no easy access to those, have them.

I feel that Dhamma Wheel covers the Buddha and the Dhamma parts of the triple gem pretty well but could see some improvement in the Sangha part.

What do you think?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
retrofuturist

Re: Sub-forum for topics regarding visiting monasteries and...

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Theravada For The Modern World is another one you could have used.

As for the suggestion, we're always reticent to create new forums unless they are structurally required to facilitate a variety of discussion that could not be done elsewhere.

The fact that in this instance there were multiple sub-forums which could have suitably hosted your topic, suggests to me there is no problem.
I feel that Dhamma Wheel covers the Buddha and the Dhamma parts of the triple gem pretty well but could see some improvement in the Sangha part.
We're certainly not averse to that... but it would be a matter of thinking hard about what the forum would be focused on, and why such conversation cannot be profitably be held in other areas of the forum.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ytrog

Re: Sub-forum for topics regarding visiting monasteries and...

Post by Ytrog »

I didn't consider that one :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.