Unlock the sutta study threads! Let them be Free!

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
phil

Unlock the sutta study threads! Let them be Free!

Post by phil »

Hi all

I just wrote a cleverly worded, brilliant, staggeringly insightful comment in the sutta corner thread before noticing it was locked. Maybe it would be a good idea to lock the previous one only after posting the new one? I think I assumed that it would still be open. Of course the lock icon must have appeared, and hopefully I'll notice next time.

edit - I see what happened, just as I was writing my comment, Mike was in the process of posting a new study thread, so by the time I tried to post, the previous thread I had started to comment on was closed. The probability of that happening is really tiny so no need to make changes to prevent it happening, just bad luck.

But I continue to think that since the Classical Theravada corner is pretty dormant, it would be a good idea to unlock the sutta study threads. I don't see what the harm would be....of course new threads could be opened on suttas, but the study corner threads contain so many good resources, and it would be interesting if people could bump up their new or deeper appreciation of the suttas as time goes on...just my opinion...

edit again - of course, if there has been a lot of discussion in a sutta thread, there will probably be more than enough material for helping to understand that sutta without feeding the need to comment...so never mind...unless others agree they'd like them unlocked. :smile:
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
mikenz66

Re: Unlock the sutta study threads! Let them be Free!

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Phil,
phil wrote: I just wrote a cleverly worded, brilliant, staggeringly insightful comment in the sutta corner thread before noticing it was locked. Maybe it would be a good idea to lock the previous one only after posting the new one? I think I assumed that it would still be open.
Sorry about that. :hug: I'll try to remember to not lock the old one too soon next time.

And if anyone wants to add something just pm me and I can unlock it, or post it in the general section and ask me to move it.

:anjali:
Mike
Tranquility Base

Post by Tranquility Base »

Although I am new here, and don't know the reason they were locked, I agree with Phil. I try to read one a morning, but cannot ask any questions. it might be helpful to new people like me if we could ask questions in the appropriate places.
phil

Post by phil »

mikenz66 wrote:Sorry about that. :hug: I'll try to remember to not lock the old one too soon next time.
No prob re the comment gone missing Mike, the probability of someone trying to post a coment in the thread just as you are locking it up is really slim.
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Phil,

The thread you mentioned is currently unlocked so if you want to add some words of wisdom, please go ahead!

The rationale for locking threads was discussed here:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=352#p10154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist, Wed Mar 04, 2009 wrote: ... I'll explain the reasons why discussion topics are currently closed at the end of seven days...

The main reason they're closed is so that the Study Group remains focused on a single discussion item at a time, just like a real Study Group or Book Club. If all topics were left open, it would be little different to any other sub-forum, and the older topics would get replies and bump themselves up over the top of the current ones... meaning the sequence of threads could get out of whack and the 'current' topic could get lost amongst the others.

I made sure in the closure post for the first few weeks that it was clear people could continue discussing certain aspects of interest elsewhere, so they could see the closure wasn't in any way an attempt to stifle discussion. This still remains the case now, even if there is no formal closure post.
I therefore suggest that if anyone sees a sutta in an old thread that they want to discuss, they simply start a new thread in either the General or Classical forum and link to the old thread. I will then put in a link to the new thread.

And, of course, please note that there is nothing to stop anyone from starting a discussion about any sutta at any time. The idea of the Study Group is not to prevent discussion of any sutta, but simply to bring some focus onto a particular sutta (and connected suttas or other material) for a few days. Personally, I have been finding it very interesting to think about one sutta over an extended period because I pick up on things that I tend to miss when I just read it once.

In future I'll leave the old thread unlocked for a few days after the new thread is started, so there is a little more time for participants to add some last words.

:anjali:
Mike
phil

Post by phil »

Thanks Mike

There hasn't been an uprising of shared outrage at the tragic fate of the sutta study threads, so I will rest my case. Or will I take this opportunity to take out my old BASIC text book and learn how to HACK them free, har har! :smile:
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)