Civil law vs Common law - how should we understand the TOSS ?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Wind_of_Change

Civil law vs Common law - how should we understand the TOSS ?

Post by Wind_of_Change »

I have noticed that members differ in their understanding of the idea of TOSS. Because US/UK/AU are the only countries with common law, all the other countries without exception having civil law, there is a different level of understanding of the TOSS by the members.

-In civil law countries, the law is made by the parliament, is very explicit and equally applied to all persons. If a person breaks the civil law, he get's the punishment written for that particular crime.

-In common law countries, the law is dependent on the judge. The judge himself is the one making the law, not the parliament and the law is not fixed.

So my question is: Should we, as members treat the TOSS as a civil law or should we rely on the moderator personal opinion about a problem and not take the TOSS too seriously? Should we rather focus on becoming more friends with the moderators, therefore making the law more in our favor or should we all equally try to respect the TOSS like it's done in civil law countries ? Should the new forum administration act using common law thinking of "precedent" when making decision about banning members, acting based on how decisions used to be made in the past or should they rely on the TOSS ? I am asking because people coming from civil law countries (like me) can experience a culture shock on predominantly US/UK/AU forums. I don't wana be the only idiot around treating the TOSS as a civil law.

So how should we understand the TOSS ? Rather in a civil law perspective or in a common law perspective ?
For those who want to investigate "higher dhamma" (witch is phenomenological dhamma): link
For those who want to investigate it further: link
Understanding will not come while reading. It will come while lying on the coach and thinking, actively trying to understand it. The same way a mechanic understands how an engine works, the same way one will understand higher dhamma.
Cittasanto

Re: Civil law vs Common law - how should we understand the TOSS ?

Post by Cittasanto »

as the site is owned and hosted in the US, Dhamma Wheel is subject to certain US Laws.
However, as this is a Buddhist forum and the vinaya and the advice to mendicants as to how to adapt to new situations should be born in mind

Mv 6.40.1 Vinaya-samukkamsa: The Innate Principles of the Vinaya
"Bhikkhus, whatever I have not objected to, saying, 'This is not allowable,' if it fits in with what is not allowable, if it goes against what is allowable, this is not allowable for you.

"Whatever I have not objected to, saying, 'This is not allowable,' if it fits in with what is allowable, if it goes against what is not allowable, this is allowable for you.

"And whatever I have not permitted, saying, 'This is allowable,' if it fits in with what is not allowable, if it goes against what is allowable, this is not allowable for you.

"And whatever I have not permitted, saying, 'This is allowable,' if it fits in with what is allowable, if it goes against what is not allowable, this is allowable for you."

But The TOS are not dificult to understand and are quite plain and simple.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Wind_of_Change

Post by Wind_of_Change »

But The TOS are not dificult to understand and are quite plain and simple.
Well....
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=20

Some people do personal attacks with impunity cause they are longer term members and have more friendships. And the rule about violent images is only for the lounge as far as the TOSS is concerned, not for the rest of the forum. So it's not that simple making sense of the TOSS...
For those who want to investigate "higher dhamma" (witch is phenomenological dhamma): link
Understanding will not come while reading. It will come while lying on the coach and thinking, actively trying to understand it. The same way a mechanic understands how an engine works, the same way one will understand higher dhamma.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Good point, the rule about violent images is for the lounge. However, that other topic you made was more like a lounge topic when it includes images and people complained about the images too. Also see Cittasanto's good post about using some general standards too, when the rules can't cover everything.
Wind_of_Change

Post by Wind_of_Change »

Well... that is common law thinking right there, not civil law thinking. People have to use their intuition to figure out the rules ? Not the best approach at all in my opinion as a person living in the normal civil law part of the world. Only US/UK/AU live in common law and that's where this kind of thinking comes from...

At least I could ask this question without getting perma banned (hopefully), so I'll stop at that.