Darken Signature Border For Alternating Post Colours

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
samseva

Darken Signature Border For Alternating Post Colours

Post by samseva »

It seems that with the alternating colours of posts, the signature border colour becomes almost invisible when it is an orange post. With the yellow posts, this isn't a problem, but not with the orange one.

Some people even add an extra line to make a more visible border. It works, but isn't that great when the background is yellow.

A simple fix would be to change the CSS for the border colour. The only thing you need to change is the colour of the .signature part of either the stylesheet.css file or the CSS file in question. A simple Ctrl+F or Cmd+F of ".signature" will do the trick.

Code: Select all

.signature {
    border-top-color: #cccccc;
}

.signature {
    border-top-color: #444444;
}
All you have to do is replace

#cccccc
with

samseva

Re: Darken Signature Border For Alternating Post Colours

Post by samseva »

Compare the signature at the bottom of this post and above from the previous post.

Without the extra signature border in the signature, in some cases it seems like the URL is part of the post message.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Funny, I never noticed that there was a difference.

Shouldn't a signature normally start with a name? Otherwise it's just more text...

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Much ado about nothing.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
samseva

Post by samseva »

It's a 1-minute fix. It probably took longer reading the thread than it would actually changing the colour.
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

I like the subtlety of the current message-to-signature line.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
samseva

Post by samseva »

No go?
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I notice you added your own line; sufficient fix, do you think?

Instead of _, one could also use ▒ or ─ or ▬ or something.

Maybe I'll edit my own sig, see how it looks... yeah, not too bad with that wee bullet there.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
samseva

Post by samseva »

daverupa wrote:I notice you added your own line; sufficient fix, do you think?

Instead of _, one could also use ▒ or ─ or ▬ or something.

Maybe I'll edit my own sig, see how it looks... yeah, not too bad with that wee bullet there.
The issue isn't the lack of a border, but with alternating post colours, either the border appears fine on the yellow posts, and then it is like there is no border at all for the orange posts. For the orange posts and in some cases, it also seems like the signature is part of the post message.

Adding your own signature border works to some degree, but for yellow posts, you end up with two borders.

I just thought a less than 1-minute fix would be good.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I'm something of a computer idiot, so it's above my pay grade. This was just a bit of duct tape, as it were, to see if it could help for now.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

samseva wrote: I just thought a less than 1-minute fix would be good.
It's not a 1 minute fix for me, unfortunately. I don't know where that file is. Thanks for the suggestion, though. For emergencies, I can get my webmaster/tech guy to work very fast, but for the lower priority issues; they have to wait for when time is available. So we're not ignoring you, just putting it off for the time being.
samseva

Post by samseva »

David N. Snyder wrote:It's not a 1 minute fix for me, unfortunately. I don't know where that file is. Thanks for the suggestion, though. For emergencies, I can get my webmaster/tech guy to work very fast, but for the lower priority issues; they have to wait for when time is available. So we're not ignoring you, just putting it off for the time being.
Oh, okay. I could keep the current border without a problem. I simply thought it would be a simple improvement for the forum. No hurry at all.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Signature lines are now thicker, much more visible.
samseva

Post by samseva »

David N. Snyder wrote:Signature lines are now thicker, much more visible.
Yes, it's a lot a lot more visible. :smile: I think the only problem with the border was that it was a light grey. It was okay for the alternating yellow posts, but not for the orange ones. Simply changing it to a dark grey (not even black) would have fixed the issue. Now it's huge! :smile:

Here is a preview of what the following border colour and width would look like (100% visible and blends in with the rest of the page):

.signature {
    border-top-color: #707070;
    border-width: 1px;
}
borderwidthcolour.png
borderwidthcolour.png (306.16 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ok, it's at that color now and thinner than before.