Suggestions

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
martinfrank

Suggestions

Post by martinfrank »

Hi!

I am reading the Dhamma Wheel posts often. It is a worthwhile forum. I understand that it is the result of a lot of unpaid work. Thank you for Dhamma Wheel!

Here my suggestions how to improve it and to open it to a wider audience.

1. Being a Buddhist for more than 40 years, I am shocked if I read post by Moderators with rude expressions (shit, crap). Didn't Lord Buddha admonish us to speak gentle words, pleasing to the listener?

2. I believe the forum would become more welcoming if Moderators would focus on moderating rather than on answering/commenting. Moderators who comment every post, particularly with a final, closing the discussion, post, subvert the forum idea. As an old Buddhist I understand the urge to be impatient with the same questions and topics coming up again and again. But then haven't our teachers been patient with us too?

Thanks and greetings

Martin
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
tiltbillings

Re: Suggestions

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I'm.....

....Saying nothing.

(ADDED: Except that I pull no punches. See thread linked to by tiltbillings.)

:namaste:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
SDC

Post by SDC »

Why are moderators being held to a standard which is above their responsibilities as moderators? They aren’t claiming to teachers. They aren’t claiming to expert scholars. They aren’t advertising any attainments. They are here to enforce the rules of the forum, not the vinaya, and not any of the precepts. Am I wrong? They are free to discuss just like any other member, and you will see in the other thread, that they will not moderate in a thread in which they are engaged, which I feel is fair. If they act like humans, it is because they are, and I see NO reason to force them to act like phony statues, pretending to be something they’re not. Could some mods be nicer sometimes? I guess, but their behavior shouldn't have any bearing on our individual practices. This is a place to discuss the dhamma, but it will never be free from the ordinary characteristics of the world, and if that means having moderators that occasionally get a little rowdy and overbearing then so be it. That is the world. Gives the place some flavor, if you ask me.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3