Could We Have Printable Versions?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
James N. Dawson

Could We Have Printable Versions?

Post by James N. Dawson »

I often like to print discussions out, so I can read them over several times and think about them. For some reason, I can read, comprehend and retain things on paper better than on screen.

Is there any way a "printable version" of the discussions be offered, like there are on many other websites?

Maybe this would be too much work. I just thought I'd ask.

By the way, i think your option to save posts is an excellent idea. You're the only one to have it that I know of.
mikenz66

Re: Could We Have Printable Versions?

Post by mikenz66 »

Try the printer button on the top right.

Mike
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

mikenz66 wrote:Try the printer button on the top right.
Problem solved... :smile:
James N. Dawson

Thank you! I'm all set!
James N. Dawson

Mike,

Hope I don't sound like I'm fussing, but although I like the compactness of the printable versions, there doesn't seem to be any way to distinguish between the quotes and the current reply or comment.

Would it be possible to indent them, or use a different font? It would be nice if the layout kept to a more "traditional print & paper" one. I really find the the "greater-than signs" in Yahoo forums very distracting. What about instead of "so-and-so wrote:", maybe some dashes at the end of the quoted material, with the name of the person quoted? Just a thought. I don't want to demand too much.

James
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

James N. Dawson wrote: Hope I don't sound like I'm fussing, but although I like the compactness of the printable versions, there doesn't seem to be any way to distinguish between the quotes and the current reply or comment.
Hmm, I see what you mean. That's annoying.

I don't work "here", so I have no idea whether it is possible to adjust it. Sorry! :console:

Mike
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

mikenz66 wrote:
James N. Dawson wrote: Hope I don't sound like I'm fussing, but although I like the compactness of the printable versions, there doesn't seem to be any way to distinguish between the quotes and the current reply or comment.
Hmm, I see what you mean. That's annoying.

I don't work "here", so I have no idea whether it is possible to adjust it. Sorry! :console:

Mike
Seems to be a "feature" of the boardsoftware. In other forums using phpbb3 the formats of the printversions are identical to them here.
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

As Rhino suggests, the settings are standardised, and I don't believe we can alter them.

Another possibility if you want to print something is to highlight it and copy-and-paste into MS Word and print from there.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Individual

Post by Individual »

retrofuturist wrote: As Rhino suggests, the settings are standardised, and I don't believe we can alter them.
It's possible to modify any forum software, but you'd have to have technical experience to do complex modifications. I don't think anyone here has that experience, although there might already be a mod to accomplish this on the website of the forum software.

If I remember correctly, this forum uses phpBB. You could search their mods list for a mod that allows for a "print" button on screen that creates a printable version:
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doing a quick search myself, I found a mod that allows you to print a single post:
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=9775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a mod to print all posts in a single thread:
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=8245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know whether that changes the layout of the posts, though, making them nicer-looking when printed on paper.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra