Unanswered Posts

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Unanswered Posts

Postby Tom » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 pm

First, let me present this example of a forum topic:

Sally: What is chocolate?
Bob: Chocolate is _________.
Sally: Thanks. How does one go about obtaining _________?
Mike: Bob, chocolate is not __________ it is ___________.
Bob: Mike, chocolate is _________ because ______________.
(Argument Continues until final post) Day 1
(Still no more posts) Day 7 - Sally's 2nd question still not answered. At this point the topic may not even be considered "active" anymore. The point is however, Sally asked a question that was unanswered. Now, it may make sense in this case to place the topic under unanswered posts, because although Sally received a reply to her original question, her 2nd question remained unanswered. If this were so, when forum users click the topic, it would also make sense to direct them to Sally's 2nd question, instead of the most recent post, to avoid confusion.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

Re: Unanswered Posts

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 pm

I think the prime problem would lie in deciding when a question has been 'answered'.
In your example, Bob provided an answer, so the question was 'answered' ... but then there was a follow-up question. And what about "What Music Are You Listening To" http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11033 - 360 posts but the original question is still open - or the monstrous rebirth and vegetarianism threads?
If your suggestion could be made to work, it would only be by adding a huge amount to the mods' workload.
But how about changing the category name, from "Unanswered Posts" to "Posts with no replies"? Sure, it's clumsier, but it's clear and unambiguous.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 am

By no means do I wish to stress the mods out with a heavier workload, this is simply a suggestion for this specific issue. Maybe we can discuss and brainstorm other ways of dealing with this.
Kim O'Hara wrote:But how about changing the category name, from "Unanswered Posts" to "Posts with no replies"? Sure, it's clumsier, but it's clear and unambiguous.

I think that's a great idea
Last edited by Tom on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Postby ricebowl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks for being specific, it helps the newbie reader in me too, or at least here in this forum I appreciate the four posts I have read so far

/\ :namaste:
ricebowl

Return to Suggestion box