Hmmmm, Banned??

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
catmoon

Hmmmm, Banned??

Post by catmoon »

Next door at Dharma Wheel, I have recently been issued a ban and my IP has been banned as well. I have been unable to contact the admins, and have no idea what is going on. Anyone who can contact DWM on my behalf and ask them to contact me here would do me a great kindness.
plwk

Re: Hmmmm, Banned??

Post by plwk »

Catty, done for you. Let's hope an Admin/Mod responds...
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

plwk wrote:Catty, done for you. Let's hope an Admin/Mod responds...
Ah thank you kindly!

So wheres the lolcats thread on thiis board?
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

catmoon wrote:Next door at Dharma Wheel, I have recently been issued a ban and my IP has been banned as well. I have been unable to contact the admins, and have no idea what is going on. Anyone who can contact DWM on my behalf and ask them to contact me here would do me a great kindness.
It's probably in recognition of the great service you had given there.

In years to come you will see it as a great Bodhisattva act of kindness. "Best thing that's ever happened to me!" - you'll say.

I wish they'd ban me here, but these Theravadins don't quite get the "cruel to be kind" thing. Ah well... :cry:
_/|\_
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

LOL true dat, theres no telling how the karma would work out. I but half suspect that it will turn out I banned myself accidentally, or some other such inspiringly enlightened thing.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I tried that at ZFI when I was mod, the darn thing wouldn't let me do it! :shrug:
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

I'll move this thread over to the suggestion box.
Catmoon, it might be wise to shoot David a pm and let him know what's going on.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

I have a pm out to Retro, I dont think I need to bug Dave just yet. He's a busy fellow!
Besides this is kind of enjoyable. Stress free posting, no responsibilities.... :woohoo:
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I'm guessing your Halloween avatar was too scary. :stirthepot:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Monkey Mind wrote:I'm guessing your Halloween avatar was too scary. :stirthepot:
It was pretty frightening wasn't it?

It is truly amazing the scenarios that run through a fellow's head when something like this happens. For instance recently we had a pretty sane and steady poster suddenly change his avatar to a nude picture of an underage girl. Result: instaban. Now it occurs to me, what if he didn't do it? What if someone got ticked at him and hacked in and switched avatars on him? Could the same thing have happened to me?

But I'm afraid sanity must prevail. We recently took on a few new mods and they are fond of doing IP bans along with the regular user bans on spammers. I'm betting one of those banned IPs was a bit more general than intended. It would not surprise me to find all of southwestern BC has been locked out. So that's my lead scenario atm.

Anyone else want to try their hand at some wild speculation?
plwk

Post by plwk »

Catty... 2 messages from huseng on the thread:
Hang in there Cat!
I'll have to ask the admins to figure this out because I can't really determine the source of this.
Hey Kitty can you come back now?
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Ah. They seem to have fixed it.

Damn!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ben

Post by Ben »

catmoon wrote:
Monkey Mind wrote:I'm guessing your Halloween avatar was too scary. :stirthepot:
It was pretty frightening wasn't it?

It is truly amazing the scenarios that run through a fellow's head when something like this happens. For instance recently we had a pretty sane and steady poster suddenly change his avatar to a nude picture of an underage girl. Result: instaban. Now it occurs to me, what if he didn't do it? What if someone got ticked at him and hacked in and switched avatars on him? Could the same thing have happened to me?

But I'm afraid sanity must prevail. We recently took on a few new mods and they are fond of doing IP bans along with the regular user bans on spammers. I'm betting one of those banned IPs was a bit more general than intended. It would not surprise me to find all of southwestern BC has been locked out. So that's my lead scenario atm.

Anyone else want to try their hand at some wild speculation?
I reckon you hit the nail on the head.
When you go back in to DWM, you might want to look at your policy with regard to IP bans. If you are banning blocks of IP addresses, you are going to run into problems with the site loosing its accessability to some innocent bystanders.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

catmoon wrote:Ah. They seem to have fixed it.

Damn!
Glad they fixed it! Yes, it appears to have been an IP issue, which we will need to look into.