Hi everyone, from the rain-capital of Australia...

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
manas

Hi everyone, from the rain-capital of Australia...

Post by manas »

...well maybe not, but the last few weeks it has felt like it. I guess I had better formally introduce myself, although I have already posted a few times. I live in Melbourne, Australia, where the weather changes so often that you can realize anicca quite easily just by going outside and looking at the sky. I have two dear children, whom I care for on weekends, or on the odd weekday when 'summoned' by my ex (who I get along with ok, mostly :tongue: ). I would say that the Dhamma, my dear children, and Nature bring me the most joy in life, the rest is either good, average or...well, you know, dukkha! I'm a piano teacher by trade, which really complicates trying to observe the Uposatha if a teaching day happens to fall on the new or full moon (I just take seven precepts instead of eight, and try not to 'enjoy' the music too much lol - almost sounds like catholicism). So all in all, despite having had quite a difficult life socially (I'm quite isolated, and somewhat eccentric and hermit-like), currently I'm making the effort to take a good look at the vast blessing of having been born a human, who contacted the Dhamma, and somehow, by effort and the kindness of some good teachers, has managed to grasp enough of it to keep going. So when I get into depression (happens a bit...painful stuff), my latest 'first step' is to ask whether it is justified. I mean, to have this INCREDIBLE opportunity for cultivating awakening, and yet to sit around moping because of the bad things that happened in the past (and a few that are happening now...), is actually quite silly. It is possible that I worked very hard over many lives for this opportunity. So, time to roll up the sleeves and get on with it.

That's 'me' in a nutshell, well it's what I have to work with. Any help to further awakening is always welcome, and I hope I can be of assistance to others here too, as my realization improves. May we all help one another and take this opportunity that, so I hear, is sought after even by devas in heavenly worlds! :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Ben

Re: Hi everyone, from the rain-capital of Australia...

Post by Ben »

Hi manasikara,
Lovely intro! I lived in Melbourne for about 17 years before Ballarat for about three years and then to Launceston in Tassie eighteen months ago. I love Melbourne and I miss it. Its also where my oldest daughter lives and studies.
Like you, kids and the whole catastrophe. With regards to your depression, don't hesitate to seek clinical assistance to help you manage it. And if you are regularly engaged in meditation practice, its more likely that you will suffer fewer relapses and come off medication sooner than people who don't practice. Sometimes, we may need the assistance of a combined drug and cognitive therapy to help us along - even as practitioners.
As for Melbourne being the rain capitol of Australia - i doubt it. I think we get more rain than you guys!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome manasikara!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Good day! Liked you post in that other thread.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Rain-capital?
Melbourne??
:rofl:
http://www.tullygumbootfestival.com/about.html
Best pic I could find is http://www.flickr.com/photos/owen59/1346516336/
Of course, if you're talking fewest sunny days or coldest drizzle or something ... yeah, Melbourne's definitely in with a chance.

Seriously, thanks for your good intro - and I do sympathise, as I said elsewhere, with anyone suffering a Melbourne winter.
:namaste:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
manas

Post by manas »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I found this forum. For all its faults (in terms of overall content), the Internet is enabling us to have a community here in cyber space, dedicated to the realization of what is true and of real value in life. This site (Dhamma Wheel) surely makes a sizeable dent in Mara's virtual domain.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

Welcome, Manasikara! :anjali:
There's nothing like a bit of actual rain to make vassa feel like a proper rainy season!
However, if you ever get tired of the rain, please do come visit the Gold Coast, and be sure to pop by at Wat Sangharatanaram. (=

Best wishes for your practice,
Viriya
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
manas

Post by manas »

Viriya wrote: However, if you ever get tired of the rain, please do come visit the Gold Coast, and be sure to pop by at Wat Sangharatanaram. (=
Viriya
Thanks for the greeting, and the kind invitation. One day I would like to travel up north again, hopefully I can pay a visit then.

:anjali: