I'm not sure what to say, but hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Reiyana

I'm not sure what to say, but hello!

Post by Reiyana »

Thank you for stopping by my introduction. Hopefully I won't be boring to you. My name is Kelly, but my nickname is Reiyana(which comes from an online game I play). Most of my friends have come to call me Reiya. Currently, I live with my mother, father, and elder brother in Georgia(USA). I was born and raised in this state in a town called Warner Robins. Just a few little things about me, then I will move on to why I am here. I am almost always an introvert. Most of my days are spent alone, reading or listening to music. Yet, there are days where I burst out of my shell and talk with lots of people. I love being creative, and I've been writing since I was a in middle school. My goal is to become a teacher, and I will begin college in the fall to work towards that. I love old movies, especially from the 20's and 30's.

Anyway, why am I here? I have never been a religious person, although I am a person with very deep beliefs who loves to study religion, philosophy, etc. Yesterday, I got into a philosophical discussion with my peers. The question: Pain. What's the point in living if there's so much pain? My friends argued that no one should feel pain, and they wished there was nothing but happiness in the world with no arguing or fighting of any kind. I argued that pain is a part of life that is needed for growth. If no one felt pain and no one disagreed with one another, there would be no growth, no new ways of thinking, no learning. Everyone would just sit around agreeing with each other. Anyway, the details are not necessary. That argument is only the first event in the chain that seems to be unfolding my life. Later that day, I told my friend that I felt empty and I believed that perhaps I needed religion or something in my life to believe in. He asked me, "What are your beliefs?" So, I listed of some things I deeply feel to be truth which I associate with religion and basic questions religion answers. I said I believe in karma and reincarnation. I listed a few things. After I got done rambling(as you will probably find I do quite extensively), I looked back and realized much of what I believed was what I knew of Buddhism. While I've never studied it in the slightest, there is that sort of "pop culture" aspect of it that gave me basic knowledge of some of the beliefs. That night, after all my friends had gone to sleep, I read for quite some time about the history of Buddhism. I read of Buddha and his life. I read about many things and found that not only did most of what I read expand on my basic beliefs, but a lot more touched me deeply. I've spent much of my life studying and searching for what I connect to. I read about Wicca, Christianity, Shamanism, Druidry, etc. Buddhism was always there, but I passed it by. While I can't fully explain why, I always wanted to read of Buddha, but it felt like I shouldn't. Not like I shouldn't in my entire life, just not at that time. I hope that makes sense. Last night just felt like the right time. At this point in life, I am in need of something. What I've found, even just in my initial research, has already touched me. I've read about so many other things, never finding something I could truly believe in, and now I feel that I have.

So, here I am. New to it all. I admit that I am young. Only 18 years of age, soon to be 19. My family always pushed me to explore, to figure out my own way of thinking. They have been my biggest supporters in life. Always telling me to read, think, learn, and grow. That is what I am doing now. I wish to learn, to grow, to expand upon my beliefs, and to find what it is I'm looking for. If that can be found in Buddhism for me, then so be it. If not, I still wish to learn and to know. I respect all of this greatly. Thank you for your time and for reading my post. If any ignorance has been displayed, I am sorry. Have a wonderful day.
Moggalana

Re: I'm not sure what to say, but hello!

Post by Moggalana »

Welcome, Reiyana :anjali:
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Hello there :) I hope you learn loads in your time here :)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Reiyana!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reiyana

Post by Reiyana »

Thank you for welcoming me. :D
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

:hello:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Zom

Post by Zom »

Hello, Reiya,

I had a similar experience about 4 years ago - and from that moment I felt very clearly how all the course of my life changed radically - so be prepared for that -) Right now as I look back - I can't remeber a more weird thing in my life than this sudden rush to Buddhism. It was like a seed matured and sprout appeared. And now it have grown up and even borne some tasty fruits -)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Kelly
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
I hope the following publication is of interest to you!
The Noble Eightfold Path: The Way to the End of Suffering: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Wind

Post by Wind »

That's a nice intro Reiya. Glad that you are finally exploring Buddhism. :smile:
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Hi, Kelly-

You wrote a few things that I find quite unusual for any 18+ years old person to do or think about.

"Most of my days are spent alone, reading or listening to music I love old movies, especially from the 20's and 30's."
"Yesterday, I got into a philosophical discussion with my peers. The question: Pain. What's the point in living if there's so much pain?
Later that day, I told my friend that I felt empty and I believed that perhaps I needed religion or something in my life to believe in."
"I listed of some things I deeply feel to be truth which I associate with religion and basic questions religion answers. I said I believe in karma and reincarnation. I listed a few things. After I got done rambling(as you will probably find I do quite extensively), I looked back and realized much of what I believed was what I knew of Buddhism. While I've never studied it in the slightest ..."
"That is what I am doing now. I wish to learn, to grow, to expand upon my beliefs, and to find what it is I'm looking for. If that can be found in Buddhism for me, then so be it."

The following two articles may help you understand more deeply about pains and suffering as taught by the Buddha. Who knows what that understanding may lead you to?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el186.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el202.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes,

Tep
-----
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!
OcTavO

Post by OcTavO »

Hello Reiyana, :hello:
Lori

Post by Lori »

Hello and welcome Reiyana/Kelly. I am new here too and I feel that I have finally found the right path.
"Expect the Unexpected"