Greetings

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Cal

Greetings

Post by Cal »

Hi All

I'm from the UK and have been meditating and reading Buddhist books on and off for about 10 years now. In the last year or so I have become more dedicated, as my work has changed (now 'down-shifted' away from the office job) and family/life problems have intensified. From early on, Theravada has felt right for me, and though I have dabbled with Tibetan and Zen, Theravada is what I continue to follow, but hopefully with an open mind. I attend a small local Theravada group.

I'm currently experiencing a few issues with meditation, which I hope to explore more in the meditation forum.

Greetings & Metta

Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288
bodom

Re: Greetings

Post by bodom »

Welcome Cal!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Tex

Post by Tex »

Hi, Cal, is that your dog in your avatar??

I have a German Sheperd, myself. Not much better in this world than a good dog.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
sukhamanveti

Post by sukhamanveti »

Hi, Cal! Welcome. :smile:
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
Cal

Post by Cal »

is that your dog in your avatar??
Hi Tex

Yes, the avatar is indeed one of our two Jack Russell Terriers. She has a great habit of finding the most comfortable positions...but she's keeping an eye open, just in case...

I think dogs are great teachers. The dog-walking helps me too.

Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288
Tex

Post by Tex »

Very cool, I hear JRT's are very smart little guys.

And agreed on the dog walking, sometimes I take the I-pod and listen to a Dhamma talk while we walk a nature trail. Great way to spend a morning.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus