Hey from London, UK

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
BobbyC

Hey from London, UK

Post by BobbyC »

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself and tell you guys a little bit about myself: I never really considered myself belonging to a religion despite being raised a Catholic. At school I studied all other religions except Buddhism (no idea why!). So last year I took it upon myself to change this and bought a couple of books. And I was completely drawn in! I actually never thought that I'd belong to a religion and take all the beliefs wholeheartedly, but that's exactly what happened. I'm by no means well versed in all the teachings and aspects, but I hope to be one day! And I'm already learning a lot from the posts on this forum. I was initially able to attend some classes and a temple, but an injury/disability prevents me from doing so now. So I hope I fit in well in this community :)
Think that's enough about me now. Thanks for reading!

With Metta,

Bobby

:namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hey from London, UK

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Hi Bobby,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Fede

Post by Fede »

hello Bobby...From a fellow UK resident, I'm happy to meet you...
I too left behind a strong and extremely influential and all-encompassing RC background.
I never encountered hostility or opposition, neither did anyone condemn me or judge me, or even criticise my steering towards a different path.
So everything was - and still is - quite cool, with me and my RC family.

Funny though, that you should use the phrase being drawn in...
Many, many years ago, when I was relatively new to my Buddhist path, and was as yet virtually completely ignorant of most things Buddhist (a situation many would argue hasn't changed much! :lol: ) I went into a shop selling purely religious literature, and finally found a shelf with just three Buddhist books on it.
One was a book by John Snelling, ('The Elements of Buddhism') and so glad was I to have found it, that I simply had to have it.
As I went to pay for it, the young girl behind the counter said to me "Don't get sucked in, will you?"
I wish I could say that I came back with a suitably "put-downish"retort, but I simply didn't know what to say, so I just smiled, and said "Opps! Too late!" probably for the best, as I can now confidently say. Althoughn at the time, I was just dying to give her a verbal slap in the face.....! :stirthepot: (Bad girl, bad!)

I have never ever regretted being "sucked in"....
I'm confident your being 'drawn in' will be equally satisfying!

Nice to meetcha!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

H Bobby
And welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bobby,
BobbyC wrote:I was completely drawn in! I actually never thought that I'd belong to a religion and take all the beliefs wholeheartedly, but that's exactly what happened.
Yep, I can relate to that.

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BobbyC

Post by BobbyC »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D

It's nice to see that I share a similar experience with you Fede. My family and friends have also been very supportive of my decision - although when I began discussing elements of Buddhism with them I think they began to change their minds and developed headaches!! :lol: My friends aren't religous so much, but are still fairly supportive. Although they tend to lead...less than advisable lifestyles? I think I can still learn from this though and it makes me stronger in my resolve.
I'm surprised the girl warned you about getting sucked in. As, like you, I thoroughly enjoyed getting sucked in - and do even more with every book I read! Although I do remember one of my friends asking me when I told her I was Buddhist "Does that mean you' can't have fun anymore...?"
Despite having read a lot, I still consider myself a real novice, but I hope to have learned enough to get involved in some of the philosophical discussions you guys have on here. There's nothing better than giving your faith a good spin :D

Metta,

Bobby

:yingyang:
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Welcome! I'm from London UK myself. I think you will find dhamma wheel a great resource!
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha