Hello

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Tori

Hello

Post by Tori »

A few years ago, I used to read Theravada suttas on Access to Insight, though I did not take conversion into serious consideration. But a few weeks ago, I started to become interested in the dhamma again after rereading the Dhammapada and becoming convinced that I had taken the teachings for granted and not used them to their fullest extent (to cultivate good, uproot the bad, become non-attached to those things that cause suffering, etc.)

I would not be sure if it would be accurate to characterize myself as Buddhist, because I'm not entirely convinced of the literal metaphysical existence of kamma and certain aspects of rebirth, but see them regardless as a useful tool to stress the urgency of using one's current good state to further the road to liberation. I hope that by posting here, some of the more experienced posters can help dispel any misconceptions about the dhamma that I have.

I am very interested in the "Connection to Other Paths" subforum because I have read on European philosophy, such as Bergson, Aristotle, and Hegel, and it enriched my own view of the dharma to compare and contrast it with these different philosophers.

Thank you very much.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by DNS »

Tori wrote: I am very interested in the "Connection to Other Paths" subforum because I have read on European philosophy, such as Bergson, Aristotle, and Hegel, and it enriched my own view of the dharma to compare and contrast it with these different philosophers.
Welcome to DW!

Also check out one of our sister sites:

http://dharmapaths.com/
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to DhammaWheel! :group:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DC2R

Post by DC2R »

Welcome! :hello:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tori,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Tex

Post by Tex »

Welcome!

I'm a fan of philosophy as well.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Tori

Post by Tori »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Tori wrote: I am very interested in the "Connection to Other Paths" subforum because I have read on European philosophy, such as Bergson, Aristotle, and Hegel, and it enriched my own view of the dharma to compare and contrast it with these different philosophers.
Welcome to DW!

Also check out one of our sister sites:

http://dharmapaths.com/
Thank you, it sounds like it will be interesting.
Tex wrote:Welcome!

Have you by any chance read Aristotle's De Anima?
Tex

Post by Tex »

Tori wrote:
Tex wrote:Welcome!

Have you by any chance read Aristotle's De Anima?
About 20 years ago, lol.

The only ones I've read recently are Camus, Sartre, Plato, and Nietzsche.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus