La Rosa y La Mierda - is a handful of each the same?

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
awooga

La Rosa y La Mierda - is a handful of each the same?

Post by awooga »

Hello All,

Im a Vipassana - Old Student - but just the once like this chap and came across his blog. I've wondered similar in regards to taking pleasure in something.

http://eyeslikesaucers.blogspot.com/200 ... start.html
http://eyeslikesaucers.blogspot.com/200 ... art-2.html

In Part Two he has a question:
"La Rosa y La Mierda (day seven)
Surely it must be a certain type of desire we abandon? I book a ten-minute slot with La Professora on day seven and in my less than perfect Spanish ask the question as clearly as I know how:

"I have a rose in my left hand and a piece of shit in my right. According to the teaching the natural reaction is "Mmmm, la rosa, I want more of this!" and "Urgh, la mierda, get me away!". So am I right in thinking that we are trying to get to the place were we do not react to either, and if offered more rose or more shit we would be completely indifferent? Surely there is a space for enjoying the rose, in the moment, while accepting that it is passing away? When it does, you let it go. Surely there is a space for pleasure without attachment?"
Smiling down at me with kind eyes she shakes her head. "Lo pega", she replies: "It sticks". Pleasure always creates attachment.

What do you make of this analogy and what are your thoughts?

Awooga xox :heart: :hug: :heart:
tiltbillings

Re: La Rosa y La Mierda - is a handful of each the same?

Post by tiltbillings »

• Q: Have you ever looked at the Altar Sutra of the 6th Patriarch, Hui Neng?

Answer [Ajahn Chah]: Hui Neng's wisdom is very keen. It is very profound teaching,not easy for beginners to understand. But if you practise with our discipline and with patience, if you practise not-clinging, you will eventually understand. Once I had a disciple who stayed in a grass-roofed hut. It rained often that rainy season and one day a strong wind blew off half the roof. He did not bother to fix it, just let it rain in. Several days passed and I asked him about his hut. He said he was practising not-clinging. This is not-clinging without wisdom. It is about the same as the equanimity of a water buffalo. If you live a good life and live simply, if you are patient and unselfish, you will understand the wisdom of Hui Neng.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I've always found that the best place for the Mierda is spread around the roots of the Rosa plant. Standing there with a handful of each is the sign of an inexperienced cultivator.
awooga

Post by awooga »

Hahaha - I like that Sam
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

tiltbillings wrote:
  • Q: Have you ever looked at the Altar Sutra of the 6th Patriarch, Hui Neng?

Answer [Ajahn Chah]: Hui Neng's wisdom is very keen. It is very profound teaching,not easy for beginners to understand. But if you practise with our discipline and with patience, if you practise not-clinging, you will eventually understand. Once I had a disciple who stayed in a grass-roofed hut. It rained often that rainy season and one day a strong wind blew off half the roof. He did not bother to fix it, just let it rain in. Several days passed and I asked him about his hut. He said he was practising not-clinging. This is not-clinging without wisdom. It is about the same as the equanimity of a water buffalo. If you live a good life and live simply, if you are patient and unselfish, you will understand the wisdom of Hui Neng.
This quote, for some reason or another, has stuck with me since I first read it. Thanks for posting it in its entirety tilt.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

I think the bigger problem is getting too attached to not getting attached. Anyway, welcome!

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha