Hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
NowHere

Hello!

Post by NowHere »

Greetings!

I am not new to Buddhism, but I am new to Theravada Buddhism, having spent several years in Tibetan Buddhism and decided it is not for me.

The very first book I read about Buddhism, 8 years ago, was more from a Theravada perspective (unfortunately I can't remember the author or title). But that is the Buddhism that originally intrigued me, so, in a way, I feel I am returning not just to my own roots in the faith but to the roots of Buddhism itself.

I look forward to learning more about the Buddha's original teachings, and to getting to know and discussing Dhamma with you all!
mikenz66

Re: Hello!

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to DhammaWheel' :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Hi NowHere and welcome to the forum!

:hello:

If you'd like some recommended reading, feel free to ask.

:smile:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hello.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:toast:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
NowHere

Post by NowHere »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I'm reading some of the materials referenced in the "Introductory Resources" thread, and it's very helpful.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Nowhere and welcome to DW!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

NowHere wrote:I am not new to Buddhism, but I am new to Theravada Buddhism, having spent several years in Tibetan Buddhism and decided it is not for me.
Welcome NowHere,

I changed from Tibetan Buddhism to the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition!

With kind wishes,

Aloka :anjali:
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

NowHere wrote:Greetings!

I am not new to Buddhism, but I am new to Theravada Buddhism, having spent several years in Tibetan Buddhism and decided it is not for me.

The very first book I read about Buddhism, 8 years ago, was more from a Theravada perspective (unfortunately I can't remember the author or title). But that is the Buddhism that originally intrigued me, so, in a way, I feel I am returning not just to my own roots in the faith but to the roots of Buddhism itself.

I look forward to learning more about the Buddha's original teachings, and to getting to know and discussing Dhamma with you all!
Hello and welcome! I'm also not new, but returning for another look at Buddhism after having decided it wasn't for me. This forum is a terrific resource.

My introduction to Buddhism was via Zen, in particular Steve Hagen's "Buddhism Plain and Simple" and various books by Thich Nhat Hanh. They are still important to me, but like many others I've found myself becoming more interested in the Pali suttas, and the talks I listen to are usually from Theravada or Theravada-influenced teachers.