Greetings, fellow followers!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Greetings, fellow followers!

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Hi, The no BS Buddhist here.
So-called because even in my community, I'm known for not mincing my words, and telling it like it is. :guns:

Compassion, to me can be divided into two broad streams; one, unskillful, or 'Fool's Compassion' the other, far better thought-out, or 'Wise Compassion'.

I try to adhere to the latter as far as my poor, ineffective human mind will allow; but I'm a great believer in the fact that Compassion is not always delivered as a beautifully wrapped parcel, with a pretty pink bow, and tweeting birds and fragrant flowers. :quote:

Sometimes, it's a stripped-to-the-waist bare-knuckle boxer.

I have been a dedicated follower of Buddhism for nearly 45 years now.
I still know nothing about it, to its deep basic core.
I don't quote suttas, and have not memorised long tracts of teachings, nor am I your archetypal scripture-waving student of the Dhamma.
I can't for the life of me state what I have read, where, when and how long it took; I cannot wade into long, complex and detailed discussions on the whys and wherefores of what the Buddha said, what he meant, and why.
But this I do know.
The 4 Noble Truths, the Eightfold path and the 5 (occasionally 8) Precepts have been an underpinning, focal life-saving foundation of my days, and I will continue to practise diligently, on those premises, until the day I draw my last breath of this life.
His teachings on re-birth, Kamma and the Kalama sutta, resonate with me; I like what he says about insults, and the Dhammapada is a bedside companion; but then, what I know of them is at idiot level, so it's really no surprise.

My history, and my life are mine to own, know and deal with. They are of little or no relevance to anyone here, and once I'm dead, will be more inconsequential than the worms feasting on my corpse.
If they won't matter then, they sure as heck don't matter now.

But I hope to spend an enjoyable time here, engaging and discussing things in a light-hearted manner, with fellow-minded individuals.
I will warn you; I lean heavily on humour, and taking things lightly. Because I have discovered, in my eventful time here, so far, that nothing, but nothing, is ever as serious as we think it is, or should be.
The text on my avatar, reads:
"I see laughter in a moment of silence".

Well, I am rarely silent.
But I'm always laughing. :rofl:

With much Metta to you all. :toast:

(Love all these emoticons, by the way. What a great collection!) :clap:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Greetings, fellow followers!

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:guns:
TheNoBSBuddhist

Thanks David.
I presume you're the feller in the foreground, rather than the big guy at the back.

Nice to be here. :smile:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

:hello:

:anjali:
Mike
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome! :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
TheNoBSBuddhist

Very nice to be so welcomed.... Thanks all for the greetings!

(Why do I have a double layer of formatting tools above the message box? and which tool do I use to post a link as part of a message text?)

You can see I'm a hardened expert in these matters, can't you....? :D

binocular

Post by binocular »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I presume you're the feller in the foreground, rather than the big guy at the back.
Feller?
Heh.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
TheNoBSBuddhist

:thinking:

...Well....

He looks like a 'feller' from here..... :embarassed:

:lol:

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Hi there, nice intro - almost made a "coaffe over the keyboard" situation here .. but a very refreshing shock it was, yess :tongue:

be well and happy!
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
TheNoBSBuddhist

Thanks Crazy Cloud....

I'm glad your keyboard was spared the 'coffee moment'....

in my experience, removing all the keys and cleaning the mess up can be a real bitch.

(Can I say 'bitch' here....? I only ask, because i have a 'she-dog'..... :D )

bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

binocular wrote: Feller?
Heh.
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote::thinking:
...Well....
He looks like a 'feller' from here..... :embarassed:
:lol:
Feller = slang for dude.

Yes, that's me, though much older and balder now.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

David N. Snyder wrote: Feller = slang for dude.
Aren't they both slang?

Is "feller" an American version of "fella"? http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... lish/fella

Mike
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote: Hi, The no BS Buddhist here.
Hello and welcome.
mikenz66 wrote: Is "feller" an American version of "fella"? http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... lish/fella
Feller, fella, fellow discusses the Southern US and some parts of the Eastern US as regions where the term is commonly used.
binocular

Post by binocular »

culaavuso wrote:Feller, fella, fellow discusses the Southern US and some parts of the Eastern US as regions where the term is commonly used.
Feller.
Spelling "fellow" as "feller" may have been a double entendre.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!