Namaste from Finland!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Leftimies

Namaste from Finland!

Post by Leftimies »

Hi there! My name is Leo, I am 20 years old, born and live in Republic of Finland, northernmost EU state. I am a Theravada Buddhist.
And I am completely certain I cannot remain with wordly affairs, seeing the direction world is going towards each passing day.

This is not to say I am somehow mystically better than the world, no, its just that it seems doomed from the get-go. People are told to make money in order to buy goods, be attractive, be fashionable, be desirable and really to pursue things that are of little importance them as far as concepts like truth, purpose and time are concerned. It simply doesn't have all too much value in my eyes. I don't want to waste my time with such world, especially when it makes my Buddhist faith near-impossible to practice. And about that Buddhist faith...

My prime purpose of coming to this site is my now long-lived plan of ordaining in Thailand. Had the situation been different in Myanmar, I would've considered it as well, but you know Myanmar is kinda uh-oh these days. So Thailand works the best for me. However, I know almost nothing about the practical arrangements required. I do know that I must contact a temple and enter one when I am in Thailand, but I doubt practical arrangements are this easy. Correct me if I am wrong though. So, I would greatly appreciate any help concerning:

- Practical authorities-concerning issues, such as visa/passport, right of stay, etc.
- Practical clergy-concerning issues, such as attitudes towards foreigners, temples recommended, financial questions
- Practical tips, such as some advices from people who have underwent the whole thing and became monks.

While any of this might not seem like introduction-related stuff, i just wanted everyone to know my point of being here from the get-go so that people who potentially want to help me can do so rightaway! ^^ Any kind of response, let it be forum reply or PM, its ok!

- Aspirant Singh ^__^
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Namaste from Finland!

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

You should be able to find some pertinent discussion threads in the Ordination sub-forum:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=30
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to DhammaWheel!!! :group:

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Tex

Post by Tex »

Welcome!

:anjali:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus